Monday, July 16, 2012

dresser redo

 When Mr. B first bought the flat screen TV back when we first started dating he bought a TV stand like this for it.
3-in-1 TV Stand with Rich Solid Wood Finish - 42"
When we moved in together it work well in our apartment.

Then we bought the house. And for the past two years it has been getting to me. It just doesn't go well in the old house. It is too modern, and the black glass is a dust magnet. Not to mention there is no good way to hide all the cords from the TV and all the game consuls. And a mess of cords makes a great Gus-Bunnie trap. I went widow shopping for something new, but everything that was sturdy (not made of particle board and would start to sag in a year) and we liked was over our budget.

Enter Pinterest. I kept seeing the awesome media centers/TV stands that people made from an old dresser. Several months ago I began my hunt for the perfect old dresser. Not to big/not to small. Three drawers. Not very wide, it needs to fit between two window. And cheap. That was the hard part. I could find some amazing dressers but over $75. Oh hell no, this was supposed to be a el chepo project. Then I went shopping in my mothers basement. She had bought an inexpensive one from the Habitat Restore a few years ago for my sister to use at college. It can't get much cheaper that FREE-NINETY-NINE!


A shelf were the top drawer was some paint and new hardware and we have an awesome media center for under $30!




The cords are hidden, it isn't a dust magnet, and I have a place to store all the DVDs and games. Not to mention the pop of cheery color. The picture doesn't do it justice. It is a nice rusty red/orange color "rum raisin"

I splurged on the hardware. $4 a piece, but when you get the dresser for free you can. Besides they really pull it together.



Don't tell anyone, but I painted wood laminate. Yup that's right. Laminate. The key is the primer. I used an oil based primer and I scuff it up with the sander first. One coat of primer and two coats of semigloss paint.  


No comments:

Post a Comment