Monday, July 23, 2012

Theodore and Craters

Remember how Mr. B and I decide to we had a male and a female buff geese. The one we named Charlie died from SIDS, the goose version. I don't think our goose sexing abilities were that great, or it isn't Charlie who is buried behind the shed...

The goose that we had been calling Thelma all summer is a Theodore. The large white goose, pretty sure it's a boy.


(On a side note, yes that is a duct tape patch on the kiddie pool. Duct tape fixes everything. And the birds could care less what the pond looks like as long as it holds water.)

You are probably thinking I know this fact cause I saw him get fresh with one of the girls. Nope! No geese doing the nasty on this farm. Not yet a least, I know it is coming.


He is loud, the loudest goose and he also has a high pitched honk. Believe it or not the ganders have the higher voices than the geese. He is also biggest bird, males are always bigger than the girlies. If you watch the flock closely, he is the boss. The alpha. He is always aware of what is going on, always on the lookout. He sounds the alarm for everyone else.

I know Mr. B and I weren't so shure about having ganders. So far I am ok with having Theodore stick around. He is doing a fine job taking care of the ladies and the duckies. And Bruce. I am thinking there is another male in the bunch, one of the Toulouse geese. He is beta, second in charge.


While I was busy calling Theodore Thelma all summer the ducks have been busy creating craters in the yard. They dig. They drill holes in the mud with their bills looking for yummy grubbies.

That's one nice thing about the dry weather. I would hate to imagine the holes in my yard would have. The damage is contained to the ares by the pools. You can tell were the pools have sat, there are crater rings. The water splashed out from the pool party and the ducks go to town drilling.



So next time you come and visit watch were you step. I would hate for any rolled ankles!  

No comments:

Post a Comment