Thursday, July 5, 2012

Heat wave

It is hot here in Wisconsin. I'm talking high nineties and triple digits. H-O-T hot! Gus is miserable, the geese are miserable, the ducks are miserable, and Mr. B and I are miserable. It is too hot to do much of anything except park our tushies in front of the fan and chilax.  

Shady Acres is an old farm house which means no air-conditioning. None zippo zero zilch. Central Air was never installed. Mr. B and I tuffed it out the past two summers. The house normally gets a good breeze and is surrounded by large shade trees which really helps. Air conditioning is a modern convenience, not a necessity. We are young we can handle it, just take it easy and drink lots of water. Besides I want to save the money and spend it on other things. Like drywall for the mud room and new porch posts.

But this time we just couldn't hack it any more. It hasn't be going below 80 at night, it makes for miserable sleep. You have to have the fan in the window cranked on high just to keep from sleeping in a pool of sweat. Then it blows my hair around and my fuzzies tickle my face and wake me up. Miserable, I wanted to shave my head. 

Tuesday night we caved. No not caved, we were realistic. We just weren't sleeping that great. I don't think Mr. B really slept at all on Monday night. The weather forecast doesn't show this heat wave breaking any time soon and we need to be able to function the morning. Next week Mr. B will be working nights and will need to sleep during the day, that just wouldn't happen if the house was in the high eighties. We bought a window ac unit for our bed room. The rest of the house may be hot but at least we have a cool place to sleep. I am starting to think that some day we are going to have to bite the bullet and get central air. Put it on the bottom of the list, so maybe in like 20ish years we will get there..

No comments:

Post a Comment