Friday, June 22, 2012

A Change of Heart

This weekend it was in the high eighties, and you know what I decided that Mr. B and I needed to do. Repaint the dining room. Yup we painted. The results were awesomeness as usual.

When we first moved in to the house all the rooms and trim downstairs were this awful shade of green/lime/off-white. I wanted needed to repaint. The green, which I am sure was lovely back in the day and complimented the comoshag carpeting marvelously, scared me. I was NOT painting any room green on the remote chance it would look like the original color. I went with the furthest thing from green I could. ORANGE. I liked it for a while. Then it was ok. Then I didn't like it. But you see it bothered my mother so I was stubborn and kept it. Then it got to the point of hating it. I have dark furniture for in the dining room. The combination of the orange and the dark brown was starting to remind me of those mushrooms painted on the wood or crocks that were popular back in the day, not in a kitschy good way either. I was starting to loath my dining room.

So with out further ado I give you the before.



I think that everyone is allowed to have a paint one bobo per house. I thought it would look nice. It did for a while and for about an hour or so a day when the sun shone through the windows just right. Who am I kidding it was a mistake with a capital M.


(please excuse my mess. I wasn't going to clean just to move everything out of the room any way)

 I have two rooms and a hallway painted different shades of beige and that is enough for me. I can't have my downstairs all tan. I need color! I decided I was going to take the plunge and paint it a shade of green. Yes green, but not the same green as it was before. I went to the home improvement store and brought home just about every paint sample in the green family they had. Mr. B and I narrowed it down to about five. We smacked those up on the wall with tape and stared at them for a few days weeks two months. It got put on the back burner for a while. I was afraid of picking out another color that I ended up hating. I didn't want to be a complete color failure.

It took me a while but I got over my fears (and consulted with my mother) and I chose Meadow Grass. Seriously who picks out names for paint shades. And you know what, I LOVE it!! It makes the room look much bigger. And brighter. And open. My furniture looks nice again.

  



We need to find a few more things for the walls. I am thinking a frame wall would look nice or a gallery wall if I can find a bunch of pictures of the acres and the animals that I like. 

I did cave and let Mr. B hang up his scull mount. He got this bad boy with the truck last year. Most expensive freezer full of venison ever! Yes there are dead things hanging up in our house. I draw the line at mounts with the glass eyes. Sculls ok, creep glass eyes not so much. Mr. B said he liked the green paint. Once the mount was up the compliments started flowing about how nice the green complimented his deer. Boys...
Don't tell any one buy I think it looks fabulous on the wall too. 


Lessons learned from this adventure:
  • Think twice about painting your dining room a dark shade of orange, if I remember correctly it was called Pumpkin Spice.
  • If you do paint a color and you don't like it after a few months it's ok. Really it's just paint. We all can't be interior designers. 
  • I also think that you should live in your house a while before you change/put color on your wall. Which I believe was one of my biggest mistakes. Take time to see what you use the room for and what kind of light it gets. 
  • Primer is cheaper than paint. We primed this before we repainted and although it was a massive pain in the arse it was worth it. It took two coats of primer to cover the orange and then we did two coats of green. If we didn't prime I can only imagine how much paint we would have gone through.





No comments:

Post a Comment