Monday, May 14, 2012

A Quilt Showcase

A few years ago I made a quilt for one of Mr. B's cousin's baby. We were still living in the apartment and I was looking for something to do. I wanted to give the baby a nice present that was meaningful for her baptism. I've known how to sew since I was in middle school and had finished one quilt that my grandmother had started. A hand made quilt would be a perfect present for a new baby. Ever since then I have been making a quilt for all the new additions to the families of our friends and relatives.

This particular quilt I started with no one particular in mind. Just wanted to make a bright quilt and try this tutorial, Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts is my hero. Seriously, this woman is amazing! The tutorial was supper easy to follow; I made some size modifications. But making a zig-zag quilt with out piecing oodles of half square triangles was pure awesomeness. Like I do with most of my baby quilts this puppy was hand quilted. I mirrored the zig-zag only in the white fabric.


 This quilt represents my first attempt at machine quilting. I was not brave enough to try any free motion quilting,instead i opted to quilt a quarter inch from the seams, making a grid. There are a few wavy spots, but over all it turned out fabulous and I will be using that quilting technique again.



The last one I made using purely fabric I had on hand. I found the cute animal print on mega clearance and Joanne's months ago and just had to snatch it up. I would be perfect in a baby quilt. I went back to hand quilting on this one, you can see some of the detail in the second picture. (Also the one spot were my corners did not match up, please ignore that)


These beauties will be going to their new homes in the next few weeks. It seems that the babies come in spurts, this time around four boys!! I am currently finishing the fourth one, pictures of that to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment