Friday, May 18, 2012

The Disappearance of Patty

Patrice is gone. Unlike Bernie I don't think that she meet some nice gander and ran away with him. This time I know for sure it was murder. She was taken off her nest sometime in the night. There were signs of a struggle, feathers on the ground near her nest. These feathers weren't the fluffy down that she has been using to keep her "egg" warm, but her big flight feathers. Further down the yard there were more piles of feathers as she was dragged off into the woods.

I am thinking from the lack of a body and the trail of feathers that she was taken by a fox. This mama goose is not happy. I hope that Mr. B and I are able to take care of this problem before he has a chance to take any of the little one. I do feel better knowing the babies are locked up at night, but we have had a fox come in broad daylight and take ducks before. 

It will be sad pulling into the driveway tonight. No silly geese to sass the car as I pull up the drive and waddle to the car to greet me. I will miss Patty and Bernie's silly antics. The way the "help" in the garden, how they would ninja up to Gus to get him, and how they would surround visitors cars. My poor silly birdie wordies are no more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment