Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Painted Trim and Curtains

Over the weekend Mr. B had to work, so I dug out my painting close and went to work on the trim. We finished scraping paint and sanding the weekend before and over the week we finished prepping for paint. We puttied the holes and calked along the seams. I started priming Friday night and was able to finish up with the touch-ups on Sunday afternoon.

I was going to wait for Mr. B to get home to help me hang the curtains. You see the week before I had tried to hang the curtains in the dining room, but there was an incident with the plaster. I was drilling a pilot hole before I put the screw in. It didn't want to go, so I applied more force. Well all of a sudden it went and I put the drill into the wall creating a large-ish hole in the plaster next to the window. We filled that hole and I touched up the paint this weekend. You can't even tell it happened. Sorry I "forgot" to take pictures of it. Taking pictures would leave evidence and the world would know. I suppose telling you does the same thing.

Like I said I was going to wait for him to get home to help me, but like most things I got impatient and decided to try it again. Success this time. I got a system down. Now drilling pilot holes, just start it by pounding in a nail. If it didn't hit a stud I put in one of the plastic dry wall support thingies. (I'm sure they have a proper name, but it escaping me right now.) I got every one right on the first time. The curtains are hung and the curtain rods are level. 

I suppose you want to see what they look like. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to take pictures of windows/window treatments and get the lighting right. There is probably a tutorial somewhere out there about it. I'll look for it when I invest in a nicer camera. Not much I can do with our old pocket size point and shoot model.



I can't believe it took me over two years to get this done. We spend so much time in this room, now that they are done I realize the globy green paint was bringing me down. The white trim makes the details on the woodwork stand out and compliments the tan walls in a way green could never do. 



We both agreed that it makes our living room cozier and more inviting. The sun blared through the windows most of the morning and afternoon. The new curtains still let in the light but defuse it. It's not as intense any more. 





Just in case you were wondering the curtains are from Target and the curtain rods are, get this, from none other than Wal-Mart. Would you believe that out of the big box department stores the Mart has the largest selection of curtain rods, and the most reasonable prices.

Guillermo update:
He is still limping no major improvement. Which isn't great but it's better than it getting worse. It is still painful, but seems less so. He's limping with more speed and seems surer on his feet. He is also back at sassing the dog, a good sign. 




No comments:

Post a Comment