Monday, March 4, 2013

Guillermo, Mr. Squirrel, and a Turkey

Friday I noticed that Guillermo, one of our large male geese, hurt his foot. From what I could tell, as close as he would let me get to him, he cut the bottom of his foot on something. Not sure what he cut it on. I'm thinking maybe his foot got cold and he cut it on a piece of ice, but that's not important. 

He has been gimping around all weekend. Yesterday he seemed to be doing better. He was getting around rather well, still limping but managing. His BFF Bruce has been keeping a close eye on him. I tried to get close to take a good look. It was starting to stress G out and Bruce came to his rescue hissing at me and trying to chase me away. They are cute together, rather inseparable. I noticed Christmas has been trying to take advantage of G's injured state and move up in the pecking order, bird will be birds.

Today when I got home from work I he is still limping but now the foot is very swollen and darker than the other. I have a sinking feeling it is getting infected or he broke it. Hopefully it is neither. He is still managing to tag along with the other birds and is eating, drinking, and preening himself, from those things I believe he still has quality of life. We shall watch him closely the next few days to see how he is doing, I will keep you updated. 

This weekend I noticed that we have a visitor coming to the steel  some munchies from the bird's food dish. Sneaky little bugger, he was eating while the Bruce was taking his morning bath and he didn't even notice the thief.



I also made a turkey. I got one two years ago for my Christmas bonus, I decided it was about time to cook that bad boy. Several phone calls to my mother I was ready to put him in the oven. I don't know why, I've made chickens before but for some reason a whole turkey seems intimidating. Maybe it's the size. 




Well it turned out. I took a picture before it went into the oven but not one when it came out in all it's glory. I must have been distracted by the other projects I was working on. It has been shredded and tucked in the crock-pot with some gravy for Mr. B to take to work. They will enjoy hot turkey sandwiches for lunch tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment