Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Table

As promised.


The other week, while I was being the snot monster, Mr. B was building me a table. Yes a table. What started out as drawing up plans to build a bench for the mud room ended up with plans for a table and two benches (one for the mud room and one for the table) and a trip to Menard's for the lumber that evening at 8:00. Nothing like closing the hardware store. 

Once you get Mr. B excited about a project there is no stopping him. He is also a slight perfectionist. It took him several evenings and one smashed finger to get the legs and apron to his standards.  


We modeled our table on a combination of the Solomon Table from Pottery Barn and plans from Ana White's website. I wanted something big that would take up the space and fit my family when they come for dinner. (or, as my MIL hopes, if we have an army of children) Well I got my big table, it's monstrous 4' x 8' and heavy. That table isn't going anywhere. The table top made up of 2x10, what you would use for floor joices in home construction. 

When we were devising our plans we decided that we would need to be able to easily detach the legs. Some day soon, as in this spring, we are going to refinish our wood floors. It would be necessary to move the table out of the room. Mr. B was all fancy and made an angled piece that the leg bolts to, pulling it tight to the apron. (we studied the table we had to get this idea, so no he isn't a complete genius)


I sanded the table. I got to use a belt sander for the first time, talk about an upper body work out. Mr. B also bought me a new orbital sander. Having your hubby buy you power tools is by far one of the most romantic gestures. My mother and I stained the table and I put two coats of poly on top.

I love the way it turned out!! And for $120 you can't beat it. Now to convince the hubby that he should build me a new buffet. The one we have is only three feet long and looks disproportionate compared to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment