Saturday, December 1, 2012

One Fish, Two Fish, New Fish Baby Shower

Last weekend I had the honor of throwing a baby shower for my dear friend and sister-in-law. Her and her husband were visiting from Mississippi for the holiday. I wanted to go with something bright and cheery, not the typical pastel, it's a boy theme. (yes they are having a boy!!) After getting some inspiration from Pinterest, I decided to go with a Dr. Seuss theme.


I found these adorable invitations. They set the tone for the whole shower. In case you didn't know I'm all about themes and being mathcy-matchy. I blame my mother.

With the theme set it was time to figure out a menu. Keeping with the Dr. Seuss theme we had the following:
Roast Beast - hot beef sandwiches
Who Hash - cheesy potatoes
Yot in a Pot - calico beans
Green Eggs - deviled eggs
Truffela Fruits - fruit tray
Fish Cakes - cup cakes
Yink Ink Pink Drink - pink punch 



Funny story about the green eggs. I died the yolks to make them extra green and pipped them back into the eggs. We gave one to my niece, she's two and is crazy about cupcakes and frosting. She was all excited and grabbed the yolk first thinking it was frosting. She put the whole thing in her mouth at once. You should have seen the look of betray on her face. Priceless!
Not to worry she did get a fish cake, and a few to take home.


For the table decorations I made Truffela Trees, you know from the Lorax. An easy and inexpensive decoration. I used Martha Stewart's tutorial on tissue paper pom-poms. I made them smaller by cutting my sheets of tissue in to quarters. I then hot glued them to some stick and stuck them in mason jars with "grass" (green tissue). They were a big hit.
Especially with all the little girls who ran around playing "cheer leaders" with them.


I also purchased several other printables from the same Etsy vendor that made the invitations. We had signs to put up, labels for the bottled water, and advice cards for the guests to fill out. My printer got quite a work out! 



 We had to play some games, it wouldn't be a baby shower with out them. I found a Dr. Seuss trivia game that we printed off to play. We also did baby shower bingo, of course on Dr. Seuss bingo cards!

All in all it was a great afternoon celebrating. The mom to be had a wonderful time. Now we just have to wait till the little man gets here!


No comments:

Post a Comment