Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pesto


When I first moved out on my own, my mother bought me a small food processor, you know the little one that can do an onion and that's about it. One day after I used it I set the plastic bowl on the stove, we had a small galley kitchen in our apartment. I set it on a hot burner. It was ruined. I mentioned to Mr. B that I would like a new one for Christmas. He mentioned it to his parents. His dad did the Christmas shopping that year.

I got a food processor. The mother of all processors. A TEN cup.
(instead of typing food processor we will now refer to it as FP).

The exact words that came out of my mouth were "What the (adult word that rimes with duck) am I going to do with a FP this big" 

Fast forward two years. I LOVE it!! I couldn't imagine my kitchen with out it. Home made pizza sauce, no problem. Homemade ranch dressing, I'm on it. Remember that time I made that pie, why the bad-ass-10-cup-FP made light of that crust.

Last night I busted it out and made Pesto. With basil fresh from the garden. Not having cable TV or a satellite Mr. B and I have a limited number of channels, PBS stations being the bulk of them, and gospel channels..So needless to say we watch our fair share of cooking shows. Lidia's Italy being one of them. I think I have seen the episode were she makes pesto about 4 times. Looked easy enough, so I thought I would give it a try with my abundance of basil needing to be used. (did you know you should harvest your basil before it flowers for optimal flavor. Amazing the stuff you can learn on the Internet.)

The green goo, know as pesto, was not very photogenic in the evening light. But it sure tasted good.


 One more yummy dish thanks to the FP.

Seriously if you don't have a ginormous FP I suggest you go out and get one. I'm told Fleet Farm has them on special around the holidays. (remember the father-in-law bought mine and where else does one do Christmas shopping than at a farm supply/hardware store)


No comments:

Post a Comment