Thursday, March 13, 2014

Duck Bacon - A Review

I saw an advertisement in a supermarket magazine a few weeks ago for duck bacon. Yes DUCK bacon, for reals people. I mean they make turkey bacon so it’s not that much of a stretch. But still I did a double take when I saw the ad. I knew immediately this was something I had to get my hands on and try.



I was able to procure a package and we tried it the other night on its own and on our bacon blue cheese burgers. Side note – Mr. B and I discovered our love of blue cheese a few weeks ago. You would never have been able to tell my ten-year old self that I would someday like blue cheese. Come on its moldy on purpose! But I digress…

I used my trusty – never fail cooking technique for bacon the bake it in the oven method. Seriously for you out there who have never made bacon in the oven you must give it a try. So much easier, less mess, and less smell. I mean I love the smell of bacon, I just don’t want it to linger in my house for days. It would tempt me to make more and it would be a vicious never ending bacon making, eating, and smelling cycle. My love handles would suffer.

The duck was good. It had a good smoky bacon flavor with hints of duck. I liked it more than turkey bacon. But the texture wasn’t the same as the tried and true pork belly. It didn’t get the wrinkly crispy edges with the chewy fatty pockets that pork has. Bottom line – we liked it, the flavor was good and a better option for low fat bacon than the turkey. BUT given the choice we would go with the clog your arteries thick cut butcher’s bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment