Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Expensive Appliance You Don't Think About Until It Brakes

Two weeks ago I woke up and there was a noise coming from the basement. No biggy, I figured it was the well or the water softener regenerating. I left to go to work. 
When I came home the noise was still there.
Not good.

It was the water softener. After consulting the manual and calling my father I figured the timer was shot. We would need to call a repair man.

I unplugged it and turned off the water to it. I would call later in the week after I talked to Mr. B. You see he was "up north" bear hunting and stuff never seems to take a shit when he is home. Nope it's got to happen when he is gone. Then I have to deal with it. At least he married a capable woman, I remind him of this fact often.

Discussed broken water softener and called the repair man. I was told since it was almost 20 years old it would be expensive to replace and might brake again soon, as the average life expectancy on these bad boys is 20 years. I researched to make sure they weren't messing with me, they weren't and more discussing with Mr. B.

We decided to replace.
$1000 Later we have a new water softener.
OK $999. You know they do that to make you feel better, three digits looks so much better on paper than four.




Hopefully I don't have to think about this bad boy for another 20 years. Except for every few months to remind Mr. B that it needs salt.




No comments:

Post a Comment